LOCATION: HOUSTON, TX
APPLICATION DEADLINE: UNTIL POSITION IS FILLED
Workers Defense is seeking a full-time Houston Policy Coordinator to lead the policy work and advocacy conducted by Worker Defense Project’s Better Builder® and Policy Department in the Houston Metro Area. Through policy change and community education, the Better Builder® Program seeks to improve conditions in the construction industry by advocating for the following workplace standards: living wage, OSHA-10 safety trainings, workers’ compensation coverage, hiring goals from DOL and local craft training programs, and independent third-party onsite monitoring. We’re seeking candidates who are critical thinkers, take initiative, and thrive in a work environment that is both collaborative and fast-paced. A successful candidate will be a “people person” who also possesses both the political and management acumen required to navigate complicated relationships and work in diverse coalitions to move projects forward and achieve their stated goal. Because Workers Defense is, at its core, a movement building organization, candidates should demonstrate an ability to develop and implement campaigns that combine communications and organizing strategies with traditional policy advocacy. Este rol es un puesto elegible para el sindicato del personal.
Envía tu currículum con una carta de presentación y tres referencias profesionales a firstname.lastname@example.org. Incluye el título del puesto en el asunto del correo electrónico.
PORQUE SERÍAS NUESTRO CANDIDATO IDEAL:
The ideal candidate will have a background in public policy, familiarity with Texas employment and labor laws, political campaigns, and/or community organizing. The Houston Policy Coordinator should have strong communication skills that allow them to build relationships and foster cooperation with Workers Defense members, other Workers Defense staff, elected officials, and a diverse array of community and industry stakeholders. They should be willing to put in extra time and effort to meet urgent deadlines to advance our programmatic priorities and understand that this role often requires irregular work hours (including evenings and weekends). Finally, a strong candidate should be committed to WDP’s identity as a membership-based organization and be eager to leverage integrated campaign strategies to further Workers Defense’s policy agenda, expand Workers Defense’s Better Builder® Program, and build worker power.
FUNCIONES DEL CARGO
- Coordinating with statewide Better Builder® and Policy staff and other Workers Defense staff to design and manage campaigns aimed at raising workplace standards and expand participation in the Better Builder® Program, protecting immigrant communities, criminal justice and advancing other strategic campaigns in conjunction with key stakeholders;
- Cultivating strong working relationships with local policy makers, ally community and faith organizations, construction industry leaders, and other coalition partners, to support local policy efforts and campaigns;
- Tracking local political and industry trends to identify opportunities to develop new stakeholder partnerships and launch strategic campaigns;
- Devise and execute strategies to engage WDP members and local construction workers in Workers Defense’s campaigns and political advocacy
- Representing Workers Defense in meetings with coalition partners, funders, and the media, as needed
LO QUE NECESITAS:
- Bachelor’s degree (required))
- Two years of community, labor, or similar organizing or campaigns experience
- At least two years of previous experience engaging in local or state-level policy advocacy and coalition building
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Proven ability to think strategically, act assertively when necessary, and speak confidently in public
- Superior leadership, critical thinking, and strategic planning skills; persuasive speaker;
- Fluency in English and Spanish
- Relacionamiento actual con políticos claves, compromiso cívico y grupos interesados en los derechos de los inmigrantes y los trabajadores en la región (preferiblemente)
- An insured vehicle and valid driver’s license
- Annual salary starting of $58,000 to $63,000 based on experience
- $1,000 annual bilingual language stipend
- Employer-paid medical, vision, dental, and life insurance
- Employee Assistance Program to support employee’s mental health
- Paid leave consists of 10 days vacation, 10 days sick, and 5 days personal
- 21 paid holidays annually (including your birthday and our winter break from Dec. 24th through Jan. 1st)
- Every other Friday off
- Retirement plan with company match (as per our Personnel Policies Manual)
- Six weeks of paid parental leave after probationary period (120 days from hire)
ACERCA DEL FONDO DE ACCIÓN PARA LA DEFENSA LABORAL:
WDAF fights for fair working conditions and a better quality of life for immigrant and working families through legislative advocacy, voter education, and voter engagement. WDAF seeks to build governing power for Texas workers through year-round civic engagement.
ACERCA DEL PROYECTO DE DEFENSA LABORAL:
WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy that has been building power for immigrant families and Texas construction workers since 2002. .
Las organizaciones de Defensa de los Trabajadores son empleadores que ofrecen igualdad de oportunidades, motivan y reclutan activamente a personas de color, inmigrantes, mujeres y comunidad LGBTQ+ para que se presenten.