LUGAR: AUSTIN, TX
APPLICATION DEADLINE: UNTIL POSITION IS FILLED
Workers Defense is seeking a full-time Austin Policy Coordinator to advance our member-led policy campaigns and support the work of our Policy Department in the Austin Metro Area.
The Policy Department works alongside our members to develop and execute local, state, and federal policy campaigns to secure safe and dignified working conditions for construction workers and to advance immigration and criminal legal system reforms. This includes supporting the Better Builder® Program, which seeks to improve conditions in the construction industry by advocating for improved workplace standards.
We’re seeking candidates who are critical thinkers, take initiative, and thrive in a work environment that is both collaborative and fast-paced. A successful candidate will possess both the strategic and political acumen to navigate complicated relationships and work in diverse coalitions to move initiatives forward.
The Austin Policy Coordinator reports directly to the Policy Director. This role is a staff union eligible position.
Send resume, cover letter, and three professional references to email@example.com. Please include the position title in the subject line of your email.
PORQUE SERÍAS NUESTRO CANDIDATO IDEAL:
- You have a background in public policy, political campaigns, and/or community organizing.
- You have strong communication skills that allow you to build relationships and foster collaboration with Workers Defense members, other Workers Defense staff, elected officials, and a diverse array of community and industry stakeholders.
- You are willing to put in extra time and effort to meet urgent deadlines to advance our programmatic priorities and understand this role often requires irregular work hours (including evenings and weekends).
- Finally, you are committed to Workers Defense’s identity as a membership-based organization and are eager to leverage integrated campaign strategies to further Workers Defense’s policy agenda, expand Workers Defense’s Better Builder® Program, and build worker power.
FUNCIONES DEL CARGO
- Coordinate with statewide Policy Department and other WD staff, to design and manage campaigns aimed at raising standards within the construction industry, and to expand participation in the Better Builder® Program
- Cultivate strong working relationships with local policy makers, ally community and faith organizations, construction industry leaders, and other coalition partners, to support local policy efforts and campaigns
- Collaborate with WD’s Civic Engagement and Organizing teams to support WD members in building co-governance relationships with elected officials to advance policy efforts aimed at raising workplace standards, protecting immigrant communities, and advancing other strategic campaigns
- Facilitate leadership development opportunities and create training materials to help equip members to lead on political and legislative advocacy
- Conducting policy research and analysis on issues that impact our members and community
- Representing Workers Defense in meetings with coalition partners, funders, and the media, as needed
WHAT YOU’LL BRING*:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2 years of community, labor, or similar organizing or campaigns experience
- Proven ability to think strategically, act assertively when necessary, and speak confidently in public
- Superior leadership, critical thinking, and strategic planning skills; persuasive speaker;
- Fluency in English and Spanish
- 2+ years of previous experience engaging in local or state-level policy advocacy and coalition building (preferred)
- Relacionamiento actual con políticos claves, compromiso cívico y grupos interesados en los derechos de los inmigrantes y los trabajadores en la región (preferiblemente)
- An insured vehicle and valid driver’s license
*If you don’t meet all the criteria above but still feel your experience could be a good fit for the role, please apply. Workers Defense recognizes that candidates who don’t check every box can still add value to our team.
- Annual salary starting of $58,000 to $63,000 based on experience
- $1,000 annual bilingual language stipend
- Employer-paid medical, vision, dental, and life insurance
- Employee Assistance Program to support employee’s mental health
- Paid leave consists of 10 days vacation, 10 days sick, and 5 days personal
- 21 paid holidays annually (including your birthday and our winter break from Dec. 24th through Jan. 1st)
- Every other Friday off
- Retirement plan with company match (as per our Personnel Policies Manual)
- Six weeks of paid parental leave after probationary period (120 days from hire)
ACERCA DEL FONDO DE ACCIÓN PARA LA DEFENSA LABORAL:
WDAF fights for fair working conditions and a better quality of life for immigrant and working families through legislative advocacy, voter education, and voter engagement. WDAF seeks to build governing power for Texas workers through year-round civic engagement.
ACERCA DEL PROYECTO DE DEFENSA LABORAL:
WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy that has been building power for immigrant families and Texas construction workers since 2002. .
Las organizaciones de Defensa de los Trabajadores son empleadores que ofrecen igualdad de oportunidades, motivan y reclutan activamente a personas de color, inmigrantes, mujeres y comunidad LGBTQ+ para que se presenten.