JOB OPENING: APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED ON A ROLLING BASIS
ALWAYS ESSENTIAL CAMPAIGN COORDINATOR – Houston, TX
Workers Defense Project (“WDP”) is seeking a full-time Campaign Coordinator to lead and support coalition efforts to build and win power alongside essential and excluded low-wage workers in Harris County. This is a temporary position currently funded through December 2021.
The ideal candidate will have deep connections and understanding of the communities Workers Defense and its partners organize with, community and/or labor organizing experience, experience working in coalitions, high emotional intelligence, and be committed to building worker power to create a more just economy for working families.
About Workers Defense Project
WDP is a 501(c)3, statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers. Its mission – to empower low-income workers to achieve fair employment through education, direct services, organizing and strategic partnerships – is accomplished through a network of dedicated staff, volunteers and members. WDP has a membership base of low-wage workers in the construction sector and their families. Through innovative sectoral organizing strategies, WDP has won unprecedented victories for construction workers, low-wage workers, and immigrants in Texas. WDP uses innovative strategies including direct action, legal tactics, policy advocacy and communications to wage and win campaigns, working in coalition with diverse allies.
The Essential & Excluded Worker Campaign Coordinator is responsible for the following:
- Support coalition partners to drive and win innovative strategies for protection, rights and power for essential and excluded workers in Harris County;
- Convene coalition meetings, draft agendas, and provide logistic support to allow for productive campaign partner collaboration grounded in our common purpose of building worker power;
- Check in with and support partner organizations to get their feedback in between meetings and follow-up on commitments;
- Support the coalition to determine what research and communications strategies and support are needed, and facilitate addressing those needs within budget constraints;
- Work with participating organizations to ensure workers have clear decision-making roles in the strategy and that their vision and stories and shared publicly throughout the arc of the campaign;
- Track and document campaign progress along the way both for the purposes of learning for partners and the broader movement, as well as grant reporting;
- Build relationships with groups leading similar campaigns around the country to learn from each others’ strategies; and
- Be accountable to the coalition as well as Workers Defense.
- Experience in community organizing, labor organizing, nonprofit and/or social justice setting;
- Experience working in or with membership-based organizations leading campaigns for transformative change;
- Experience working in coalitions to achieve a common purpose;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds;
- A commitment to social justice, civic engagement, anti-racism, furthering workers rights, and building a broader labor movement;
- High emotional intelligence, self-awareness, a great listener, and an ability to motivate and inspire people to take action;
- A demonstrated track record as a self-starter with the ability to work independently, but also to work effectively as a member of a team, solutions-oriented, and collaborative work style;
- Ability to work irregular hours such as nights and weekends; and
- Experience working with data-informed approaches, evaluating and improving programs.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Earned paid vacation, personal leave, sick leave and paid holidays.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and list of references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Essential & Excluded Worker Campaign Coordinator.” All attachments should be in .pdf format. Incomplete applications will not be considered. While there is no firm application deadline, it is recommended that candidates submit their materials as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The posting will be removed from the WDP website once the position has been filled.
WDP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively recruits people of color, immigrants, women, and LGBTQ individuals to apply.