Job Opening: Always Essential Campaign Organizer (Houston)
Applications accepted on a rolling basis.
Workers Defense Project (WDP) is seeking a full-time Always Essential Campaign Organizer to lead outreach and organizing strategies for construction and essential workers in the greater Houston area. This is a temporary position currently funded through a grant through December 2021.
The ideal candidate will have deep connections and understanding of the communities Workers Defense organizes, community and/or labor organizing experience, and be committed to building worker power to create a more just economy for working families.
About Workers Defense Project
Created in 2002, WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers. Its mission – to empower low-income workers to achieve fair employment through education, direct services, organizing and strategic partnerships – is accomplished through a network of dedicated staff, volunteers and members. WDP has won numerous awards for its cutting-edge achievements within one of the country’s most difficult climates for workers.
- Lead community outreach, organizing, and canvassing efforts in strategic work sites, neighborhoods, and community institutions (Note on COVID: currently WDP is primarily working from home. The Organizer will be responsible for expanding our base of members both through digital organizing strategies and safe, outdoors, socially distant activities in the field);
- Carry out one-on-one meetings and follow-up with potential members and active members for commitments, feedback, advocacy, and trust-building;
- Grow WDP’s membership base of low-wage essential workers from diverse backgrounds – primarily in the construction industry – to organize, build power, and defend their right to a just and safe workplace;
- Develop WDP leaders by fostering the analysis, knowledge, and skills necessary to participate effectively in campaign and organizing work;
- Track skills and leadership development needs and opportunities to grow base of Workers Defense Project and ensure meaningful participation in the Always Essential Campaign;
- Work with Always Essential Coalition, Coordinator and WDP communications staff to identify community stories to uplift on social media or through other communications channels;
- Update and engage WDP membership in the Always Essential Campaign;
- Build relationships with other Always Essential Coalition Member Organizations and partner organizations to insure effective coordination; and
- Participate and collaborate with WDP current membership and staff team to further WDP’s mission.
- Fluency in Spanish & English (required);
- Experience in community organizing, nonprofit and/or social justice setting including a track record of identifying, recruiting, and developing leaders through canvassing strategic work sites, neighborhoods, and/ or community institutions (preferred);
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively with people from diverse backgrounds (including faith, labor, Latinx immigrants, African Americans, etc.);
- A commitment to social justice, civic engagement, anti-racism, furthering workers rights, and building a broader labor movement;
- High emotional intelligence, self-awareness, a great listener, and an ability to motivate and inspire people to take action;
- A demonstrated track record as a self-starter with the ability to work independently, but also to work effectively as a member of a team, solutions-oriented, and collaborative work style;
- Ability to work irregular hours such as nights and weekends; and
- Experience working with data-informed approaches, evaluating and improving programs.
- This salary base for this position is $47,500 annually;
- Employer-paid medical, vision, dental, and life insurance;
- Employee Assistance Program to support employee’s mental health;
- Paid sick leave; and
- Paid holidays: 10 paid holidays annually.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume,, and list of references to email@example.com with the subject line “Always Essential Campaign Organizer”. All attachments should be in .pdf format. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The posting will be removed from the WDP website once the position has been filled.
Workers Defense is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits BIPOC, individuals with disabilities and members of the LGBTQIA+ community.