ROLE: CAMPAIGN ORGANIZER
LOCATION: AUSTIN, TX
APPLICATION DEADLINE: APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED ON A ROLLING BASIS
The Austin Campaign Organizer will lead our efforts to grow and develop the leadership of Workers Defense’s membership base of low-wage workers – primarily in the construction industry – to organize, build power, and defend their right to a just and safe workplace.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send resume, cover letter, and three professional references to email@example.com. Please include the position title on the subject line of your email.
WHY WE’RE EXCITED ABOUT YOU:
- You are passionate about protecting and strengthening worker rights in Texas!
- You are excited about building worker power alongside immigrant construction workers and their families through strategic campaigns to win concrete benefits for working communities.
- You enjoy working with a diverse group of stakeholders (including faith, labor, immigrant, and BIPOC communities).
- You are committed to Workers Defense’s identity as a membership-based organization.
- You are skilled at motivating and inspiring others to take action!
THE ROLE IN ACTION:
- You will grow the membership base of low-wage workers – primarily in the construction industry – to organize, build power, and defend their right to a just and safe workplace.
- You will develop member leaders in Houston by fostering the analysis, knowledge, and skills necessary to participate effectively in campaign and organizing work.
- You are to conduct canvassing in strategic work sites, neighborhoods, and community institutions to recruit new members to Workers Defense.
- You will support members to plan and take direct action to develop and advance Workers Defense’s strategic campaigns.
- You will conduct 1:1s, house visits, etc., with potential leaders to build relationships and engage them in campaign work.
- Any other activities that are necessary to carry out the work of Workers Defense.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING*:
- Two years of community or labor organizing experience
- Fluency in English and Spanish (written and spoken)
- Personal experience or connection to issues of worker and/or immigrant injustice
- Basic computer literacy (PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, Google Docs & Internet)
- Able to work irregular hours (often in the evenings and weekends)
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Valid Texas driver’s license and insured vehicle
*If you don’t meet all the criteria above but still feel your experience could be a good fit for the role, please apply. Workers Defense recognizes that candidates who don’t check every box can still add value to our team.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Annual salary starting at $55,000 based on experience.
- $1,000 annual bilingual language stipend.
- Employer-paid medical, vision, dental, and life insurance.
- Paid leave consists of 10 days vacation, 10 days sick, and 5 days personal.
- 26 paid holidays annually (including your birthday, the week of Thanksgiving, and our winter break from Dec. 23rd through Jan. 1st)
- Every other Friday off.
- Retirement plan with company match of 3% (as per our Personnel Policies Manual).
- Parental leave of 12 weeks paid (after probationary period – 90 days from hire).
ABOUT WORKERS DEFENSE ACTION FUND:
We center the issues of workers rights first and foremost, and engage working Texans around the issues that are most important to their families while supporting year-round civic engagement.
ABOUT WORKERS DEFENSE PROJECT:
Created in 2002, WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers.
Workers Defense organizations are equal opportunity employers and actively encourage and recruit people of color, immigrants, women, and LGBTQ+ individuals to apply.