ROLE: COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR
LOCATION: AUSTIN, DALLAS, OR HOUSTON, TX
APPLICATION DEADLINE: APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED ON A ROLLING BASIS
Workers Defense is accepting applications for a Communications Director. The Comms Director will develop and execute Workers Defense overall communications strategies that complement and enhance ongoing and future grassroots organizing and fundraising campaigns.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send resume, cover letter, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title on the subject line of your email.
WHY WE’RE EXCITED ABOUT YOU:
- You are passionate about protecting and strengthening worker and immigrant rights in Texas!
- You are excited about engaging in strategic campaigns to organize those most impacted.
- You enjoy working with a diverse group of stakeholders (including faith, labor, immigrant, and BIPOC communities).
- You are committed to Workers Defense’s identity as a membership-led organization.
- You are skilled at motivating and inspiring others to take action!
THE ROLE IN ACTION:
- Carry out the organization’s overall earned media strategy and plan in partnership with key staff
- Develop relationships with traditional media outlets and produce written content to enhance the organization’s profile
- Produce and coordinate the organization’s online presence including: website management, digital strategies, and social media management
- Develop and promote written and visual content that speaks to the organization’s target audiences and values
- Implement and evaluate online and social media campaigns
- Train staff and members on public speaking and speaking to the press
- Drive narrative work & overall messaging strategy for the organization including messaging for issue campaigns and rapid response moments.
- Support Development team with fundraising and grant strategies to raise Workers Defense’ Budget
- Coordinate with the development team on outreach to new and potential donors
- Coordinate with the electoral team on communications strategies during elections in our key areas
- Coordinate with communication staff of key movement partners and coalitions on shared campaign goals.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING:
- Experience managing a team
- Experience securing earned press coverages and engaging with or managing the press
- Experience executing strategic communication plans through traditional and digital communication platforms
- Experience working with grassroots leaders
- Proven experience designing, executing, and tracking successful email, SMS, social, and other digital advocacy programs
- Fluent in English and Spanish – A MUST
- Experience in crafting and pitching campaigns to media
- Demonstrated track record or propensity to thrive in a team-based collaborative environment
- Commitment to building power with those most impacted by our issues
- Commitment to racial justice
- Working knowledge of WordPress
- Valid Texas driver’s license and insured vehicle
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Annual salary starting at $82,000- $88,000 based on experience.
- A $1,000 annual language stipend for English-Spanish bilingual staff.
- Employer-paid medical, vision, dental, and life insurance.
- Employee Assistance Program to support employee’s mental health.
- Paid leave consists of 10 days vacation, 10 days sick, and 5 days personal.
- 21 paid holidays annually (including your birthday and our winter break from Dec. 24th through Jan. 1st)
- Every other Friday off
- Retirement plan with company match (as per our Personnel Policies Manual).
- Paid parental leave of six weeks (after probationary period (120 days from hire).
ABOUT WORKERS DEFENSE ACTION FUND:
We center the issues of workers rights first and foremost, and engage working Texans around the issues that are most important to their families while supporting year-round civic engagement.
ABOUT WORKERS DEFENSE PROJECT:
Created in 2002, WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers.
Workers Defense organizations are equal opportunity employers and actively encourage and recruit people of color, immigrants, women, and LGBTQ+ individuals to apply.