ROLE: ORGANIZING COORDINATOR (TEMP)
LOCATION: HOUSTON, TX
APPLICATION DEADLINE: UNTIL POSITION IS FILLED*
*Workers Defense will remove postings from our website once they are filled.
Workers Defense is seeking a temporary Organizing Coordinator to manage logistics in our Houston office to support organizing and policy campaigns to win justice and improve conditions on the job for workers. This position is ideal for someone who enjoys a variety of tasks and interacting with people. This position runs through April 30th, 2023.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send resume, cover letter, and three professional references to email@example.com. Please include the position title on the subject line of your email.
WHY WE’RE EXCITED ABOUT YOU:
- You are committed to social justice, furthering workers’ rights, and building a broader labor movement.
- You are enthused about logistics, all the details, and the power of a smooth running team with good systems!
- You are an excellent, proactive communicator who is able to bring people together and keep a project on schedule.
- You enjoy working independently and are adept at juggling multiple responsibilities.
THIS ROLE IN ACTION:
- Coordinating turnout and supporting member engagement in the Day of the Fallen lobby and action day at the state capitol.
- Managing administrative duties related to the Emergency Fund and supporting the three member Committees. This includes tracking applications, communicating with applicants, drafting memos and check requests, and coordinating with staff in each office to ensure approved funds get to applicants in a timely manner.
- Coordinating with staff to produce monthly member updates on campaigns, department and organizational updates, as well as upcoming events, to be posted on our website with the support of the Comms department, and then create Hustle campaigns to text them out to members as well as post on social media groups.
- Other organizing logistics and communications tasks as needed including phone banking and text banking members, creating summarized follow-up notes from member meetings, running data reports on organizing metrics, and logistics support for events.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING*:
- Fluency in English and Spanish
- Experience managing administrative tasks
- Strong writing skills and ability to communicate with a diverse audience
- Available to work irregular hours including evenings and weekends
- Ability to work well with diverse groups of people (including faith, labor, immigrant, and Latino and Black communities)
- Experience with CiviCRM databases a plus
- Proficient in computer skills and knowledge of standard office technology
- Valid Texas driver’s license and insured vehicle.
*If you don’t meet all the criteria above but still feel your experience could be a good fit for the role, please apply. Workers Defense recognizes that candidates who don’t check every box can still add value to our team.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- $25 per hour, up to 40 hours per week
- Paid sick leave and paid holidays
ABOUT WORKERS DEFENSE ACTION FUND:
We center the issues of workers rights first and foremost, and engage working Texans around the issues that are most important to their families while supporting year-round civic engagement.
ABOUT WORKERS DEFENSE PROJECT:
Created in 2002, WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers.
Workers Defense organizations are equal opportunity employers and actively encourage and recruit people of color, immigrants, women, and LGBTQ+ individuals to apply.