ROLE: CAMPAIGN MANAGER
LOCATION: AUSTIN, TX
APPLICATION DEADLINE: APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED ON A ROLLING BASIS
Workers Defense seeks a Campaign Manager to build power with Austin construction workers and their families to win better conditions on the job and an improved quality of life. The Campaign Manager will lead local organizing and civic engagement campaigns with members and organizers to advance our vision for economic and racial justice.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send resume, cover letter, and three professional references to email@example.com. Please include the position title on the subject line of your email.
WHY WE’RE EXCITED ABOUT YOU:
- You are committed to social justice, furthering workers’ rights, and building a broader labor movement.
- You are enthused about developing grassroots leadership to advocate our vision to achieve dignified and just working conditions for low-wage workers.
- You are a critical thinker who is able to bring people together and inspire others into action!
- You have previous experience as a manager and are ready to supervise and support a team of organizers to develop the leadership of worker members to execute strategic campaigns and build power for Texas workers.
- You enjoy working independently and are adept at juggling multiple responsibilities.
- You have a track record of developing relationships and building coalitions with key local allies, including faith, labor, and community allies.
THIS ROLE IN ACTION:
- You will supervise a team of organizers to develop and execute member-driven campaigns to win better working conditions for Texas construction workers
- You will develop strategic partnerships with our community allies and with local policy-makers and build the capacity of members to become leaders in these efforts
- You will develop and lead the base-building strategy, train and support staff and volunteers, and create materials to grow the membership of construction workers and their families in Houston, regularly evaluating and adjusting the strategy with the organizing team
- You will develop and lead the leadership development strategy to move members into leadership roles and ensure they have the training and support needed
- You will engage members in local policy and non-partisan electoral campaigns to build worker power and advance Workers Defense’s policy agenda, including wage and safety protections, economic development, and immigration policy
- Conduct non-partisan voter engagement and education work in coordination with Workers Defense Action Fund
WHAT YOU’LL BRING*:
- Two years experience in community organizing, social service, electoral, policy advocacy or related work
- Previous experience managing a team (direct role as a supervisor)
- Fluency in English and Spanish
- Experience managing administrative tasks
- Strong writing skills and ability to communicate with a diverse audience
- Available to work irregular hours including evenings and weekends
- Ability to work well with diverse groups of people (including faith, labor, immigrant, and Latino and Black communities)
- Experience with Voter Activation Network (VAN) and CiviCRM databases a plus
- Proficient in computer skills and knowledge of standard office technology
- A valid Texas driver’s license and insured vehicle
*If you don’t meet all the criteria above but still feel your experience could be a good fit for the role, please apply. Workers Defense recognizes that candidates who don’t check every box can still add value to our team.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The salary range for this position is $65,000 TP $71,000 annually and based on experience.
- $1,000 annual bilingual language stipend.
- Employer-paid medical, vision, dental, and life insurance.
- Employee Assistance Program to support employee’s mental health.
- Paid leave consists of 10 days vacation, 10 days sick, and 5 days personal.
- 21 paid holidays annually (including your birthday and our winter break from Dec. 24th through Jan. 1st)
- Every other Friday off
- Retirement plan with company match of 3% (as per our Personnel Policies Manual).
- Parental leave of six weeks paid (after probationary period – 120 days from hire).
ABOUT WORKERS DEFENSE ACTION FUND:
We center the issues of workers rights first and foremost, and engage working Texans around the issues that are most important to their families while supporting year-round civic engagement.
ABOUT WORKERS DEFENSE PROJECT:
Created in 2002, WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers.
Workers Defense organizations are equal opportunity employers and actively encourage and recruit people of color, immigrants, women, and LGBTQ+ individuals to apply.