ROLE: Always Essential Campaign Organizer
LOCATION: HOUSTON, TX
APPLICATION DEADLINE: JUNE 15, 2022
Workers Defense seeks a full-time Always Essential Campaign Organizer to lead outreach and organizing strategies for construction and essential workers in the greater Houston area. This is a temporary, grant funded position currently funded through December 22, 2022.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send resume, cover letter, and three professional references to email@example.com. Please include the position title on the subject line of your email.
WHY WE’RE EXCITED ABOUT YOU:
- You are committed to social justice, furthering workers’ rights, and building a broader labor movement!
- You have deep connections and understanding of the communities Workers Defense organizes, community and/or labor organizing experience.
- You are committed to building worker power to create a more just economy for working families.
YOUR ROLE IN ACTION:
- Lead community outreach, organizing, and canvassing efforts in strategic work sites, neighborhoods, and community institutions (Note on COVID: currently Workers Defense is primarily working from home. The Organizer will be responsible for expanding our base of members both through digital organizing strategies and safe, outdoors, socially distant activities in the field)
- Carry out one-on-one meetings and follow-up with potential members and active members for commitments, feedback, advocacy, and trust-building
- Grow Workers Defense’s membership base of low-wage essential workers from diverse backgrounds – primarily in the construction industry – to organize, build power, and defend their right to a just and safe workplace
- Develop Workers Defense leaders by fostering the analysis, knowledge, and skills necessary to participate effectively in campaign and organizing work
- Track skills and leadership development needs and opportunities to grow base of Workers Defense and ensure meaningful participation in the Always Essential Campaign
- Work with Always Essential Coalition, Coordinator and Workers Defense communications staff to identify community stories to uplift on social media or through other communications channels
- Update and engage Workers Defense membership in the Always Essential Campaign
- Build relationships with other Always Essential Coalition Member Organizations and partner organizations to insure effective coordination
- Participate and collaborate with Workers Defense current membership and staff team to further Workers Defense’s mission
WHAT YOU’LL BRING:
- Fluency in Spanish & English (required)
- Experience in community organizing, nonprofit and/or social justice setting including a track record of identifying, recruiting, and developing leaders through canvassing strategic work sites, neighborhoods, and/ or community institutions (preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively with people from diverse backgrounds (including faith, labor, Latinx immigrants, African Americans, etc.)
- High emotional intelligence, self-awareness, a great listener, and an ability to motivate and inspire people to take action
- A demonstrated track record as a self-starter with the ability to work independently, but also to work effectively as a member of a team, solutions-oriented, and collaborative work style
- Ability to work irregular hours such as nights and weekends
- Experience working with data-informed approaches, evaluating and improving programs
WHAT WE OFFER:
- This salary base for this position is $50,000 annually
- $500 bilingual language stipend
- Employer-paid medical, vision, dental, and life insurance
- Employee Assistance Program to support employee’s mental health
- Paid sick leave and paid holidays
ABOUT WORKERS DEFENSE PROJECT:
Created in 2002, WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers. Its mission – to empower low-income workers to achieve fair employment through education, direct services, organizing and strategic partnerships – is accomplished through a network of dedicated staff, volunteers and members. WDP has won numerous awards for its cutting-edge achievements within one of the country’s most difficult climates for workers. The New York Times described WDP as “one of the most creative organizations for immigrant workers in the country.”
ABOUT WORKERS DEFENSE ACTION FUND:
We center the issues of workers rights first and foremost, and engage working Texans around the issues that are most important to their families while supporting year-round civic engagement.
Workers Defense organizations are equal opportunity employers and actively encourage and recruit people of color, immigrants, women, and LGBTQ+ individuals to apply.