ROLE: RESEARCH COORDINATOR
LOCATION: AUSTIN, DALLAS, OR HOUSTON, TX
APPLICATION DEADLINE: MAY 15, 2022
POSITIONS WILL BE REMOVED FROM WEBSITE ONCE FILLED
Workers Defense’s Better Builder® Program is seeking a full-time, FLSA exempt Research Coordinator to oversee the organization’s strategic research agenda – including conducting primary research on construction working conditions, as well as secondary research on corporate campaign interests, workforce trends, and the economic impact of development policies. Research topics will support Workers Defense’s strategic, data-informed legislative and organizing campaigns to win better working conditions for Texas construction workers and affect systemic change in favor of working Texans.
This position will also work closely with WD’s Policy Department to advance a strategic research agenda. Workers Defense frequently uses a community-driven participatory research model and the Research Coordinator will have the opportunity to partner with WD’s construction worker members to design and implement a research agenda that will drive our vision of creating just, dignified working conditions for Texas workers. This role is a staff union eligible position.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send resume, cover letter, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title on the subject line of your email.
WHY WE’RE EXCITED ABOUT YOU:
- You are passionate about protecting and strengthening worker rights in Texas!
- You’re committed to helping cultivate an academically rigorous research agenda to support Workers Defense’s organizing efforts.
- You have the ability to publicly represent Workers Defense Project and Workers Defense Action Fund and develop and maintain relationships with key academic and research partners.
- You have the proven ability to think strategically, act assertively when necessary, and speak confidently in public.
- You have experience managing a team in carrying out an ambitious project.
- You have experience utilizing research to advance strategic campaigns for community, workers rights, or labor organizations.
THE ROLE IN ACTION:
- You will work with organizing and advocacy staff to craft strategic research questions/proposals to support the organization’s campaigns.
- You will manage Workers Defense’s research initiatives to win stronger protections for low-wage workers.
- You will work with academic partners to help design and carry out research projects in accordance with accepted academic practices.
- You will collect data from secondary sources (existing government resources, Freedom of Information Act requests, current research publications) and oversee a team to gather primary data from construction workers’ and industry partners.
- You will analyze data and write final research products for internal use and external publication.
- You will design and implement research strategies to drive and help support WDP’s strategic campaign objectives.
- Travel is required for this position – primarily within Texas, some nationwide travel.
- Identify opportunities for worker engagement in research topics when possible, and to keep WDP members informed about ongoing research initiatives.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING:
- Two to three years in the role of lead researcher or related experience.
- Experience with data management software such as SPSS, STATA or SAS.
- Experience designing and conducting quantitative and qualitative data collection projects;
- Master’s degree (minimum) in relevant fields of study such as public policy, economics, sociology etc.
- Creativity and innovation in strategic research on understudied topics and groups of workers.
- Fluency in English and Spanish (strong written and verbal communication skills in both languages).
- Excellent writing skills and ability to communicate with a diverse audience
- Ability to occasionally work irregular hours, including nights and weekends when necessary
- Valid drivers’ license and insured vehicle
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Salary range of $57k – $62k annually based on experience.
- Employer-paid medical, vision, dental, and life insurance.
- Employee Assistance Program to support employee’s mental health.
- Paid leave: 10 days vacation, 10 days sick, and 5 days personal leave annually . Six weeks paid parental leave after probationary period (120 days from hire).
- Paid holidays: 12 paid holidays annually (including your birthday!), plus Dec. 24th through Jan. 1st each year.
- Retirement plan with company match (as per Personnel Policy).
ABOUT WORKERS DEFENSE’S BETTER BUILDER® PROGRAM
The Better Builder® Program is our innovative corporate social responsibility program which seeks to improve conditions in the construction industry.
ABOUT WORKERS DEFENSE PROJECT:
Created in 2002, WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers. Its mission – to empower low-income workers to achieve fair employment through education, direct services, organizing and strategic partnerships – is accomplished through a network of dedicated staff, volunteers and members. WDP has won numerous awards for its cutting-edge achievements within one of the country’s most difficult climates for workers. The New York Times described WDP as “one of the most creative organizations for immigrant workers in the country.”
ABOUT WORKERS DEFENSE ACTION FUND:
We center the issues of workers rights first and foremost, and engage working Texans around the issues that are most important to their families while supporting year-round civic engagement.
Workers Defense organizations are equal opportunity employers and actively encourage and recruit people of color, immigrants, women, and LGBTQ+ individuals to apply.