ROLE: COMMUNICATIONS INTERN – SUMMER 2022
LOCATION: AUSTIN, DALLAS, OR HOUSTON, TX
APPLICATION DEADLINE: ACCEPTED ON A ROLLING BASIS
POSITIONS WILL BE REMOVED FROM WEBSITE ONCE FILLED
Workers Defense Project is seeking a communications intern to join one of the most robust progresive organizations in Texas to advance the policies and campaigns to improve the lives of working families and immigrants in Austin, Dallas, and Houston, Texas.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send resume, cover letter, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title on the subject line of your email.
WHY WE’RE EXCITED ABOUT YOU:
- You have a strong commitment to worker rights!
- You are comfortable managing the changing needs of a growing communications department and are excited to share ideas and strategies.
THIS ROLE IN ACTION:
- You will support the Communications Director and Digital Strategist in managing Workers Defense’s online database to track press contacts.
- You will secure earned media coverage around Workers Defense’s campaign efforts.
- You will create digital media for campaigns, including fundraising campaigns (i.e. graphics).
- You will engage and prepare Workers Defense’s members to uplift and share their voices and experiences.
- You will maintain Workers Defense’s presence on social media platforms.
- You will lead the development of Tik Tok content strategy.
- You will engage in strategic conversations on communications plans, messaging, and digital strategies for ongoing campaigns.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING:
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of digital platforms, including social media channels
- Ability to independently take on projects and proactively contribute to campaign strategy discussions
- English and Spanish fluency
- Computer literacy (meaning experience with Microsoft Office, internet and email, and Google Drive)
- Access to the internet at home and ability to work remotely
- Ability to work 10-15 hours a week including some nights and weekends
WHAT WE OFFER:
- $18/ hour for 10-15 hours per week
- Life-long experience and skills in 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) nonprofit operations, strategic communications in a political landscape, and the inner workings of organizing in the labor movement in Texas
- Referrals for future employment
- Possible class credit
ABOUT WORKERS DEFENSE PROJECT:
Created in 2002, WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers. Its mission – to empower low-income workers to achieve fair employment through education, direct services, organizing and strategic partnerships – is accomplished through a network of dedicated staff, volunteers and members. WDP has won numerous awards for its cutting-edge achievements within one of the country’s most difficult climates for workers. The New York Times described WDP as “one of the most creative organizations for immigrant workers in the country.”
ABOUT WORKERS DEFENSE ACTION FUND:
We center the issues of workers rights first and foremost, and engage working Texans around the issues that are most important to their families while supporting year-round civic engagement.
Workers Defense organizations are equal opportunity employers and actively encourage and recruit people of color, immigrants, women, and LGBTQ+ individuals to apply.