JOB OPENING: APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED UNTIL POSITION IS FILLED
COMMUNICATIONS ASSOCIATE – PART TIME in Houston, TX
Workers Defense is looking for a Communications Associate to advance our strategic media campaigns and uplift the voices and stories of our membership! In this role you will work with the Communications Director to create and implement media strategy in Houston and Harris County from media relations and press releases, to social media and digital organizing tactics, that shape public opinion and raise the profile of Workers Defense. This position is funded through the end of 2022 with a strong potential for continuation beyond that.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send resume, cover letter, and three professional references to email@example.com. Please include the position title on the subject line of your email.
WHY WE’RE EXCITED ABOUT YOU:
THE ROLE IN ACTION:
- You will develop media relations strategy – including pitching stories to secure placements in print, broadcast, radio, and online media that aid Houston campaign strategies.
- You will respond to media inquiries – English & Spanish press– and field requests to staff and/or members who would be best to be interviewed.
- You will support staff and/or members for interviews by preparing talking points on the interview subject and, if needed, interpreting for monolingual Spanish speaking members.
- Proactively build connections and relationships with local, state and national reporters.
- You will design, execute, and track email, social media content, and other digital media tactics for organizing, legislative, and political campaigns. Analyzes the results of digital campaigns to continually improve our effectiveness.
- You will work with the Communications Director and the Communications Department to develop digital and media strategies to achieve program goals.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING:
- Experience executing strategic communication plans through traditional and digital media
- Experience designing, executing, and tracking successful email, SMS, social, and other online advocacy programs
- Fluency in Spanish
- Experience working with the press and media pitching
- Demonstrated track record or propensity to thrive in a team-based collaborative environment
- Commitment to building power with marginalized communities, including working people, immigrants, and people of color
- A valid driver’s license and insured vehicle
WHAT WE OFFER:
- An hourly rate of $24 – $28 per hour for 20 hrs/wk.
- A $500 annual bilingual language stipend.
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program to support employee’s mental health.
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- 12 paid holidays.
ABOUT WORKERS DEFENSE PROJECT:
Created in 2002, WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers.
ABOUT WORKERS DEFENSE ACTION FUND:
We center the issues of workers rights first and foremost, and engage working Texans around the issues that are most important to their families while supporting year-round civic engagement.
Workers Defense organizations are equal opportunity employers and actively encourage and recruit people of color, immigrants, women, and LGBTQ+ individuals to apply.