ROLE: HOUSTON OFFICE COORDINATOR (TEMP)
LOCATION: HOUSTON, TX
APPLICATION DEADLINE: AUGUST 6TH, 2021
Workers Defense is seeking a temporary Office Coordinator to manage logistics in our Houston office to support organizing and policy campaigns to win justice and improved conditions on the job for workers. This position is ideal for someone who enjoys a variety of tasks and interacting with people.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send resume, cover letter, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title on the subject line of your email.
WHY WE’RE EXCITED ABOUT YOU:
- You are committed to social justice, furthering workers’ rights, and building a broader labor movement.
- You are enthused about logistics, all the details, and the power of a smooth running team with good systems!
- You are an excellent, proactive communicator who is able to bring people together and keep a project on schedule.
- You enjoy working independently and are adept at juggling multiple responsibilities.
THIS ROLE IN ACTION:
- You will coordinate with the Houston staff team to organize the Houston office.
- You will screen calls from workers and direct them to the right person or resource.
- You will print membership ID cards and coordinate distribution of them.
- You will coordinate with staff and the member Emergency Fund Committee to get critical resources to our community, and help document lessons along the way.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING:
- Fluency in English and Spanish
- Experience managing administrative tasks
- Strong writing skills and ability to communicate with a diverse audience
- Available to work irregular hours including evenings and weekends
- Ability to work well with diverse groups of people (including faith, labor, immigrant, and Latino and Black communities)
- Experience with CiviCRM databases a plus
- Proficient in computer skills and knowledge of standard office technology
WHAT WE OFFER:
- $20 per hour, up to 40 hours per week
- Paid sick leave and paid holidays.
ABOUT WORKERS DEFENSE PROJECT:
Created in 2002, WDP is a statewide, membership-based organization devoted to workers’ rights and advocacy, chiefly aiming to build power among Texas construction workers. Its mission – to empower low-income workers to achieve fair employment through education, direct services, organizing and strategic partnerships – is accomplished through a network of dedicated staff, volunteers and members. WDP has won numerous awards for its cutting-edge achievements within one of the country’s most difficult climates for workers. The New York Times described WDP as “one of the most creative organizations for immigrant workers in the country.”
ABOUT WORKERS DEFENSE ACTION FUND:
We center the issues of workers rights first and foremost, and engage working Texans around the issues that are most important to their families while supporting year-round civic engagement.
Workers Defense organizations are equal opportunity employers and actively encourage and recruit people of color, immigrants, women, and LGBTQ+ individuals to apply.