COMMUNICATIONS SUMMER INTERN
Workers Defense Project is a membership-based organization that empowers low-income workers to achieve fair employment through education, direct services, organizing and strategic partnerships.
Workers Defense Action Fund is a statewide organization dedicated to building power for low-wage workers, people of color, and immigrants and across Texas to win fair employment conditions and a better quality of life for working families through legislative advocacy, voter education, and voter engagement.
Workers Defense is seeking a Summer 2021 Communications Intern to join one of the most robust progressive organizations in Texas. This internship will overlap with our work at the 87th Legislative Session to advance policies that stand with working families and immigrants in Texas and other ongoing campaigns in Austin, Dallas, and Houston, TX.
The intern will work the Communication Director and Digital Strategist to:
- Manage Workers Defense online database to track press contacts;
- Secure earned media coverage around WD efforts;
- Create images for campaigns, including fundraising campaigns;
- Engage with our membership to share their stories;
- Maintain WD presence on social media platforms;
- Engage in conversations and aid in launching our Tik Tok account; and
- Participate in strategic conversations on communications plans, messaging, and digital strategy during the ongoing 87th Legislative Session.
- Committed to progressive issues and ideals that stand with immigrants;
- Excellent verbal and written communication;
- Organized and detail-oriented in a fast-paced work environment;
- Have knowledge of digital platforms, including social media channels; and
- Can independently take on projects and proactively contribute to campaign strategy discussions.
- 10hrs per week for 10 weeks at $15/hr, room for additional hours depending on availability and into the Fall semester; and
- Valuable knowledge of 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) non-profit operations, strategic communications in a political landscape, and the inner workings of organizing in the labor movement in Texas.
WDP is an equal opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, immigrants, women, and LBGTQ individuals to apply.
To apply: Please send resume, cover letter and two professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on our work, visit our websites at www.workersdefense.org and www.wdactionfund.org