LOCATION: HOUSTON, TX
APPLICATION DEADLINE: UNTIL POSITION IS FILLED
Workers Defense Project (WDP)/Workers Defense Action Fund is seeking a community-minded attorney who is eager to help build worker power in Texas. The ideal candidate will have experience working directly with low-income workers and/or immigrants, educating the community, and practicing employment law. They will also have strong communication skills — in both English and Spanish — that will allow them to develop relationships with WDP members and staff, partner attorneys, and allied organizations. A strong candidate should be committed to WDP’s identity as a membership-based organization and be interested in utilizing the law as a tool to support worker organizing, leverage integrated campaign strategies to further WDP’s policy agenda, expand WDP’s Better Builder® Program, and build worker power.
Send resume, cover letter, writing sample, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title on the subject line of your email.
PORQUE SERÍAS NUESTRO CANDIDATO IDEAL:
- You have a clear vision for the potential to leverage legal strategies to support organizing and movement building work
- You understand Workers Defense’s identity as a movement building organization!
- You are a critical thinker who thrives in a collaborative work environment.
- You have great “people skills” and management acumen to work with a diverse team of staff, volunteers, and members to move multiple projects forward.
- You are skillful at juggling multiple priorities and not letting things fall through the cracks.
- You demonstrate an ability to employ both legal and community-based tactics to resolve employment claims while supporting the leadership development of WDP members
FUNCIONES DEL CARGO
- Supervising the provision of legal services in WDP’s Houston office by offering legal advice, referrals, pro se support, and direct representation to WDP members in strategic employment cases;
- Conducting legal research and writing to support WDP’s programs, campaigns, and operations; preparing resources and training staff;
- Coordinating with WDP staff to design and manage campaigns aimed at raising construction industry standards and expanding participation in the Better Builder® Program through legal and community-based strategies that support the leadership development of WDP members and advance WDP’s organizing and outreach efforts;
- Providing training sessions to WDP members and community allies on workers rights; designing and updating know-your-rights materials in both English and Spanish;
- Developing and maintaining strong working relationships with attorneys, government agencies, and other community organizations;
- Recruiting, training, and supervising interns, law students, and volunteers; and
- Representing WDP in meetings with community partners, elected officials, funders, and the media, as needed.
LO QUE NECESITAS:
- J.D. and Texas bar admission in good standing, or willingness to take and pass the Texas bar;
- Previous experience practicing employment and/or labor law;
- Previous experience working directly with clients, particularly low-income or immigrant clients;
- Strong proficiency reading, writing, and speaking both English and Spanish;
- Capacidad para pensar estratégicamente, actuar con asertividad cuando sea necesario y hablar con confianza en público;
- Experience managing different responsibilities, delegating tasks, and supporting the success of a team;
- Commitment to “movement lawyering” principles, and experience in or willingness to learn and employ both legal and community-based tactics to resolve legal claims and support organizing campaigns;
- Ability to work irregular hours, including occasional evenings and weekends;
- Valid Texas driver’s license and insured vehicle.
- The salary range for this position is $63,000- $68,000, depending on experience.
- $1,000 annual bilingual language stipend
- Employer-paid medical, vision, dental, and life insurance
- Employee Assistance Program to support employee’s mental health
- Paid leave consists of 10 days vacation, 10 days sick, and 5 days personal
- 26 paid holidays annually (including your birthday, the week of Thanksgiving, and our winter break from Dec. 24th through Jan. 1st)
- Every other Friday off
- Retirement plan with company match (as per our Personnel Policies Manual)
- Six weeks of paid parental leave after probationary period (120 days from hire)
ACERCA DEL PROYECTO DE DEFENSA LABORAL:
Creada en 2002, WDP es una organización estatal basada en la afiliación, dedicada a los derechos y la defensa de los trabajadores, cuyo principal objetivo es crear poder entre los trabajadores del sector de la construcción de Texas. Su misión es empoderar a los trabajadores con bajos ingresos para lograr un empleo justo mediante la educación, los servicios directos, la organización y asociaciones estratégicas; a través de una red de personal, voluntarios y miembros dedicados. WDP ha ganado numerosos premios por sus logros de vanguardia dentro de uno de los ambientes más difíciles para los trabajadores en el país. El New York Times describió a WDP como “una de las organizaciones más creativas para trabajadores inmigrantes en el país”.
ACERCA DEL FONDO DE ACCIÓN PARA LA DEFENSA LABORAL:
Nos centramos en los problemas de los derechos de los trabajadores ante todo, e involucramos a los trabajadores de Texas en los temas más importantes para sus familias, mientras apoyamos la participación cívica durante todo el año.
Las organizaciones de Defensa de los Trabajadores son empleadores que ofrecen igualdad de oportunidades, motivan y reclutan activamente a personas de color, inmigrantes, mujeres y comunidad LGBTQ+ para que se presenten.